Jesse Showalter is a senior trial attorney at Robbins & Curtin. Jesse focuses on the representation of people who have been harmed by government actors, corporations, and insurance companies Jesse has successfully represented clients in civil rights, wrongful death, and complex insurance matters. Jesse has extensive experience in Arizona State and Federal Courts. Jesse’s experience includes a significant appellate practice, pre-trial litigation, and jury trials. In 2017 and 2018 Jesse and Joel Robbins obtained back-to-back jury verdicts in two Federal civil rights trials arising from inmate deaths in the Maricopa County Jail.
Before joining Robbins & Curtin, Jesse was a partner at a well-known defense firm that specialized in defending corporations, municipalities, institutions and individuals in a variety of civil matters with an emphasis on municipal liability and civil rights claims.
- Estate of Douglas Walker v. Paul Penzone, 2018 WL 1785220 (D.Ariz.) (January 2018 Federal jury verdict finding that Maricopa County jail violated pretrial detainee’s constitutional rights and caused his death).
- Estate of John Klatt v. Maricopa County, 2017 WL 7789781 (D.Ariz.) (December 2017 Federal jury verdict finding that Maricopa County jail violated pretrial detainee’s constitutional rights and caused his death).
- ACT Grp., Inc. v. WaterFurnace Int’l, Inc., 700 F. App’x 718 (9th Cir. 2017) (Affirming summary judgement on counterclaim for wrongful appropriation of commercial likeness).
- Rahn v. City of Scottsdale, No. 1 CA-CV 15-0767, 2016 WL 7508085, at *1 (Ariz. Ct. App. Dec. 30, 2016) Petition for Review denied, July 28, 2017 (affirming summary judgment on plaintiff’s malicious prosecution and wrongful arrest claims).
- Berenter v. City of Glendale, No. CV1603576PHX-JAT-DKD, 2017 WL 2730763 (D. Ariz. June 26, 2017) (Granting motion to dismiss federal civil rights lawsuit for failure to state a claim.).
- Milke v. City of Phoenix, No. CV-15-00462-PHX-ROS, 2016 WL 5339693 (D. Ariz. Jan. 8, 2016) (Granting motion to dismiss certain of former death row inmate’s state and federal claims for failure to state a clam.).
- Korff v. City of Phoenix, et al. CV-13-02317-PHX-ESW (D.Ariz. May 6, 2016) (Summary judgment in § 1983 claim in which plaintiff alleged that officers used excessive force in the shooting death of a mentally ill man wielding a baseball bat.).
- Smith v. City of Payson, 585 F. App’x 421 (9th Cir. 2014) (Affirming summary judgment for a municipality and its employees in a lawsuit alleging wrongful arrest, first amendment retaliation, other civil rights violations).
- Williams v. H.A. Developers, 2011 WL 1204335 (Ariz. App. 2011) (Affirming summary judgment in favor of general contractor who had control of jobsite when catastrophic injury occurred.)
- Heller v. Humphries, 2011 WL 5326230 (Ariz. App. 2011) (Affirming summary judgment in favor of individual accused of causing fatal skydiving accident.)
J.D., cum laude, Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona, May 2008M.A., Classical Studies, Philology, 2003B.A., Classical Studies, 2000
United States District Court for the District of Arizona
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Arizona Association for Justice
National Police Accountability Project
Jesse is a third generation Arizona native. He has three children who make him laugh on a daily basis.